yesterday was a relaxing day compared to the day before. I was actually quite tired most of the day due to allergy medication – hay fever season is hitting me already and it is not even “high” yet. I managed to get the mistake row ripped apart for the Fall Harvest quilt and pressed – and even sewed back together again the right way. I am now half way done piecing the blocks and rows together. Don’t forget it will change in appearance when I get the squares on the ends cut down into the setting triangles – rough measurement is around 62 inches I think. I will work on this top for the rest of the week I’m sure until I am done and then look at fabric and figure out how I will finish the borders and what size. I am linking to Jo’s Country Junction also linking to Midweek Makers #86 where Susan has shown my Primary Colors quilt from last week. Linking to My Quilt Infatuation also.
It was actually much less humid yesterday and I was able to sit out on the porch for awhile and enjoy stitching some hexies and finish sewing the third row to the bottom of Handful of Scraps – now I need to baste more hexies before I start the sides. I might be basting hexies outside this week – the weatherman actually said it might get in the 50’s Thursday night – that will feel good with windows open a little bit at night it will warm up day times of course but will be nice to have windows open for a couple days.
I plan on making apple butter in the crockpot and saw a recipe that said any fruit could be made into a fruit butter in the crockpot so I wanted to see how Strawberry/Rhubarb Butter would turn out in the crockpot and see how much it would actually make once all the evaporation of the extra juices got out – it has worked so well with the tomato sauce. So first thing in the morning I got the crockpot back out and tried it. I had a bag of frozen strawberries and a bag of frozen rhubarb (I had picked it up before Jessica brought more from WI) the bags I used were the 12 oz size. It turned out really well but didn’t make a lot – maybe one pint with a little extra left over. I decided to use the majority of it with strawberry/rhubarb crisp bars. The recipe which I changed up slightly said it was for a 9×9 inch pan – the crust was a little too thick and I wonder if it could have spread out enough in a 9 x 13 inch pan instead.
1 bag (12 oz) frozen strawberries (fresh if you have them but I’m not sure how much 2 cups?
1 bag (12 oz) frozen rhubarb (est. 2 cups?)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
Cook on high for about 4 hours stir occasionally. After four hours stir again and crack the lid for about 4 more hours or until it achieves the thickness that you want. I think it would make about 1 1/2 pints but I didn’t put it in jars so not sure. I would either use within a month – freeze or can the usual way.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp (the crisp part of recipe link here)
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup melted margarine or butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix the crisp ingredients together until crumble add the melted margarine/butter and vanilla, continue to mix crumbly mixture.
Place 2/3’s of crumbs on the bottom of a greased pan or line with parchment paper. press down firmly. Using the above strawberry/rhubarb mix cover the crust with as much of the fruit mixture as you want – I used a little more than half of the mixture from the above recipe – about 1 1/2 cups I think – I didn’t measure it. Then scatter the leftover crumbs over the top and press down slightly. As I say this made a full 9×9 pan and I might try it in a rectangular pan next time – might need to use all of the fruit mixture but then the crust wouldn’t be as thick. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.