Top is done! This was really a very easy quilt to piece – yes I did make mistakes and had to rip some pieces apart, the cutting seemed to take forever even with the accuquilt dies as my hips were aching that week – but the top is now done and it only took a two weeks to do it.
Primary Colors started the morning off on the floor with 3 x 4 rows
Then the side rows were added – these are 1/4 of the original blocks just to make it a little wider and to have it look even I added a 1/4 of the big block to each side instead of a half block on one side. Of course I hadn’t cut quite enough pieces! didn’t realize that until I was down to the last area.
got a couple more pieces cut and sewed – moved a couple pieces here and there so they wouldn’t be real close.
Sewed those pieces together so they could be added onto the ends of the rows.
And here it is – ready for pin basting and machine quilting – I will do that next week – time for a little break from this one. The quilt is 82.5 x 94.5 Linking to Esther’s Quilt Blog, Kokaquilts: sew, stitch, snap, share, Sew Fresh Quilts, Midweek Maker’s and Jo’s Country Junction .
We had a large heavy rainstorm come through about 4 in the morning yesterday – and wow did we get the rain – by 9 AM we had 4.25 inches of rain – flooded the yard in the usual places – and parts of the near by town was flooded in the usual places with flash flooding. By afternoon it had all receded.
This has been an unusual summer – we just normally do not get a lot of rain in July-October – that is our normal hot dry time of year and the temperatures are about 8 degrees below normal as well at least – normally we are in the mid 90’s in August and we have mainly been in the low to mid 80’s – do wish for smaller amounts of rainfall though at one time! Could do with not waking up at 4 AM from thunder, lightening, power briefly going out and the refrigerator temperature alarm for the freezer started to beep. That doesn’t normally happen – had to wander around the house to figure out what was beeping and it wouldn’t reset at first so Mike had to unplug it and wait a minute before plugging it back in it make it stop!
All of this water was gone, but I have a mess with the mulch that washed out – I will need to get the rake out and try to pull it all back in place. The paper and cardboard that was under the mulch is still all in place and has not rotted through still – I will put the mulch back on top of it.
But the plus side of all the rain this summer is that I have only watered plants a couple times and all these Black-Eyed Susan’s are still looking pretty – the sidewalk not so much! The spray washer will have to come out in the spring and get all the yucky mold up – I don’t bother in the fall because I would just have to do it all over again in the spring and I just don’t have the energy to do it twice a year.