Yesterday was a very busy day – one thing after another. I spent the morning organizing the area of the sewing room that is part way behind the door – you can see the shelving area that I showed yesterday in one of the photos. I didn’t want to get rid of my old cutting table in case I can find a place sometime in the future to use it. It is a good sturdy table but no where to put it for now so Mike made that one area with no shelves so the table can slide into it and be put to use. If I need it for some reason I can pull it out – if not– well extra cutting mats that are the size of the table top or less can lay flat and the accuquilt stuff will go on the lower shelf. I also went through the closet and pulled out all the batting and found places for that and all the boxes with pre-cut scrap pieces are in place.
Afternoon was spent busy out – I got my daily exercise done, ran over to the clinic to get my flu shot, dropped off bags at Goodwill, ran over to Wal-Mart to pick up things – I had laundry going at home while I was gone and finished it up off and on the rest of the day. Then I got busy cutting flannel and sewing pieces together to make my design wall. Almost done – I need one more blue insulation board cut to fit the final area and will wrap that one soon.
I think those of us that use design walls and are lucky enough to have a space all do them differently – the flannel covered boards that I had up for the last 3+ years needed to be redone, the flannel was stretching after years of heavy quilts and the threads no longer could be lint brushed off – I ditched the old flannel and putting some new stuff on it to go with the new room.
First I lay my piece of flannel on the floor – I sewed two pieces together and press the wide seam open.
Next I center my blue board on it. Make sure the writing faces up so you don’t see it through the front.
I tape one side of the flannel down – I don’t worry about it being taunt as I take care of that when I do the opposite side. I put 3 pieces of tape on it to hold it snuggly.
Then I go to the other side and pull lightly on the flannel to make sure there are no wrinkles, I tape in about 6 places to hold it in place. I carefully peak under it to make sure it looks snug. Then I tape it as I did the opposite side.
then I tape one end – folding the ends in and tape that one good.
The final side – I do as I did the second side, I use several pieces of tape and pull it taunt and put 3 strips of tape again – I might be doing over kill on the tape but it works – isn’t duck tape wonderful!
I have two boards this size and then one more that will be more narrow so it fits the whole wall. Here these two are just leaning against the wall. Mike will “frame” it when I get the boards all done – he will screw in narrow pieces of wood that I have varnished to match the walls this will hold the boards in place and it also helps keep the flannel from sagging. The boards are thick and I can jam in as many pins as I want when the quilts become too heavy to stick by itself – individual blocks stick the flannel good but when you start sewing rows together they don’t always stay on the wall. This wall is 109 inches wide by 80 inches long – this is on the sloping side of the room – part of this room years ago before we moved here was a small back porch and it was a “lean to” type style where the ceiling sloped so the ceiling is not as high as the opposite side of the room –would have been too much work to redo the ceiling too!!
Mike needs to pick up one more insulation board for me and cut it the right size – I don’t cut the boards very well so he does that and I have been taking care of the rest of it while he is at work. One side of the binding on Primary Colors was hand stitched on Tuesday night and part of a side was done last night while watching tv – I was too tired to do more!! Finished the day at 14,000 steps – yes I was busy and exhausted by night! Linking to My Quilt Infatuation today .