Yesterday was spent doing a bit of yard work and I didn’t take photos. I don’t know how others do this to keep grass from growing next to garden beds but my brother who has a huge garden for farmer’s markets lays cardboard and/or newspapers around beds and sometimes in between rows and then puts grass clippings, straw, mulch of whatever on top of the papers to keep weeds under control. Last spring I did that with my small raised beds and it lasted until the last month when I noticed the weeds taking over. I have been saving cardboard boxes and cutting them and laying flat until I got around to get it ready for the next growing season. I started to lay cardboard out and will be putting the chopped up fall leaves and pine needles thickly over them. A bit more work to do – I just got started so I will be working on and off this project for several weeks to come. I like to keep the grass away from the edges of the raised beds as it is hard to get the mower really close to the edges and I think it is easier to take care of this way. The Leaf blower came out yesterday as well. I blow leaves off the porch and deck numerous times throughout the fall and the driveway too. Lot’s of work involved in yards isn’t there.
Thursday night I sat down to enjoy hand quilting once again. My lighting isn’t quite as I want and will need to do some experimenting with it. I didn’t have track lighting on the ceiling before and depended only on my clamp on lights but I don’t care for the light the new lights are putting off. I might have to go back to the larger clamp on lights. I really do not want to get rid of the bar across the quilting frame that holds the clamp on lights and the notion holder. So I need to experiment for awhile. The overhead track lighting cast a shadow over the quilt all the time when the lights are on from the over head bar on the frame.
This is with no lights above so the shadow from the bar doesn’t hide anything.
As I go across the bottom with the quilting as I finish an area I take the T-pin out from the top holding it to the backing and batting – I don’t want the holes from the pins in there and by taking it out by time the quilt comes off the frame the holes have sealed back up – this photo pretty much shows the true color of the flannels.
This is the length of quilting that I got done with Thursday night –
I decided to use the flower in the corners – the needles I am using are working really good with the flannel – nice and sharp and strong – no bending!
Supposed to have a rainy weekend – don’t know how much and how often – maybe I can get more yard work done – don’t know – it might be a lazy sewing kind of day
Craftsy Classes on Sale! Under $20 a class right now – some as low as $9.99 – through the weekend.